The Transition Academy (TTA) is a nonprofit organization founded in August 2019 to improve postsecondary outcomes for high school special education students in Kansas City Public Schools and charter schools. Our mission is to make economic inclusion a reality for youth with disabilities, especially for young people of color who have historically been failed by systems.
We are developing a social work team to provide trauma-informed mental health and social emotional support to help these youth achieve postsecondary success. The Lead Social Worker will promote the overall mission of postsecondary success and financial prosperity by providing evidence-based, developmentally appropriate school-based mental health services including crisis counseling, direct mental health treatment services, coordinated referrals to community services, and follow-up to participating teens.
The Lead Social Worker will partner with community mental health agencies to provide critical mental health support and treatment services for this vulnerable population through school site-based programming at participating KCPS and local charter high schools.
The Lead Social Worker position will develop and supervise the newly formed social work team. Duties include managing, monitoring, and facilitating the work responsibilities for the BSW team member and other assigned staff.
Supervisory Duties include:
- Conduct youth assessments and evaluations with program participant/legal guardian during the intake process.
- Use student, school and family assessment results to identify needs that impact postsecondary success.
- Assists students to improve their social emotional/mental health functioning.
- Provides social skills, anger management, stress reduction or other similar behavioral management techniques to students who are experiencing social/emotional/behavioral problems that interfere with their high school and postsecondary success.
- Provides short-term individual and group counseling to students who are experiencing social/emotional/behavioral problems that interfere with their high school and postsecondary success.
- Use a variety of formal and informal tools and techniques to develop short-term and long-term intervention plans.
- Develop processes for coordinated referral, services, and follow-up to high school-aged youth and their families for evidence-based practices.
- Forge partnerships and trust with other district departments, principals, school teams, and community stakeholders.
- Develop a comprehensive plan of community-based mental health services, including crisis counseling, that utilize evidence-based practices and are developmentally appropriate school and community based mental health practices and services.
- Provide direct treatment services in schools through mental health professionals, behavioral health aides, peers, and other related health professionals.
- Maintain accurate case records and documentation.
- Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in social work.
- Missouri Clinical Social Work License (LCSW), Missouri Masters of Social Work License (LMSW) or provisionally licensed.
- Prior supervisory experience and/or people development experience.
- Three (3) years of direct work experience with socio-economically challenged youth in culturally and ethnically diverse urban settings.
- Knowledgeable in family dynamics and issues related to adjustment to disability.
- Three (3) years of case management experience.
- Three (3) years of individual and small group intervention.
- Knowledge of current research and best practices in SEL and school climate.
- Previous experience working with school systems and local, state or federal agencies.
- Ability to plan, organize, and work collaboratively with partner organizations.
- Willingness to provide direct practice to clients while simultaneously creating systems, policies and procedures using an innovative mindset.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, and may include homevisits.
Salary Range $50,000-$55,000
Join Our Team!